On 18 September 2015, Supply Nation launched a Social Return on Investment (SROI ) report that assesses the impact its Certified Suppliers have on their community, families, employees and owners.
Authors of the SROI, Robin Burton and Emma Tomkinson profiled five Certified Suppliers in the report. They include: BNYM Indigenous Designs, Cole Workwear, Pacific Services Group Holdings, Indigenous Success Australia and Global Professional Services International.
For owners of these businesses, social value is not just an added bonus of running a business, it is built into the fabric of the organisation. Each Certified Supplier owner profiled uses their business as a vehicle to drive change for their family and wider community.
Key findings of the report include:
- For every dollar of revenue, Certified Suppliers create $4.41 of economic and social value
- Smaller Indigenous businesses have higher SROI ratios than larger businesses
- Businesses working directly in Indigenous cultural industries have higher SROI ratios than businesses working in mainstream industries
- Indigenous businesses employ more than thirty times the proportion of Indigenous people than other businesses
- Indigenous owned business strengthen their Indigenous employees connection to culture
- Indigenous businesses provide training to staff
- Indigenous business owners that were part of the stolen generation use their businesses to create a place of belonging and healing
- Indigenous owners, employees and communities are proud of Indigenous businesses
- Owners of Indigenous businesses reinvest revenue in their communities
- Indigenous businesses are a ‘safe place’ for families
Download the Report: