Kaljit awarded ‘Supplier Diversity Advocate of the Year’
28 May 14
Last night Leighton Contractors’ Supplier Diversity Manager Kaljit Bhachu was acknowledged as the Supplier Diversity Advocate of the Year at Supply Nation’s Connect 2014 Gala Dinner Awards in Sydney.
Supply Nation’s annual Supplier Diversity Awards pay the highest recognition to companies, government agencies and individuals who strive to grow Indigenous business and enterprise.
Kaljit’s award represents our value of ‘our people are the foundation of our success’ in action, and acknowledges the significant role she has played in championing and assisting our business in creating improved supplier diversity.
Kaljit has been actively supporting our company-wide procurement and supply chain strategy through the development of a Supplier Diversity Program, which is delivering real and tangible social and economic outcomes within communities we operate.
The Supplier Diversity Program has created increased opportunities for Indigenous businesses, as well as other underrepresented businesses within the supply chain, to be engaged within our business. In the first three months of this year, Leighton Contractors’ expenditure with certified Indigenous suppliers was double the entire annual spend with certified Indigenous suppliers in 2013.
Some of the program’s key initiatives have included:
- a supplier directory to ensure certified and non-certified Indigenous businesses are given the opportunity to compete on our work
- Cultivate – a forum held last year to connect 40 Indigenous businesses with all major projects across Western Australia.
- a framework to assist project and procurement teams on the options available to them when engaging with Indigenous businesses throughout the procurement process
- advice and guidance about Indigenous suppliers, as well as regional and state government organisations, to assist with certification
- continuous improvement – through analysis and research, the program continues to be adapted to remain flexible by accounting for barriers of entry for Indigenous business in remote, regional and urban Australia, and ensure maximum participation and buy-in from our employees.
Supply Nation is a business-to-business membership body dedicated to growing diversity within the supply chain. They aim to connect Australian corporate and government organisations with Indigenous business suppliers. They aim to ensure that small to medium Indigenous businesses have the opportunity to be integrated into the supply chains of Australian companies and government agencies.
The below Cultivate video outlines the excellent work done by the team.